Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cassie's Cajun Crab & Spinach Stuffed Chicken


I made a wonderful dinner. I kept seeing all these cheese stuffed chicken recipes on Pinterest and while they looked good they just didn't have everything I was looking for in a stuffed chicken breast. So, I concocted my own!

  • 4 Chicken Breasts pounded out (about 1/4 inch)
  • 1/2 Package Fresh Spinach
  • 2 T. Butter
  • 1 Package Crab Meat (I used the imitation crab because I couldn't afford the real stuff).
  • 1/2 c. Shredded Cheese (any kind you want, I used half cheddar, half monteray jack)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • red pepper
  • paprika
  • chili powder
  • garlic powder
  • onion powder
  • oregano

I started out by putting the 2T. butter in a skillet and melting it down on medium heat. I add all the seasonings to the melting butter (I didn't give amounts because we like things very spicy in our house and most people would use way less....so eyeball it). Then you dump the half package of spinach into the melted butter.
Use some tongs and start stirring and tossing the spinach until it cooks/wilts down. It goes quickly, maybe 2 minutes...it will look like this.


I put the spinach into a big bowl to cool and while that was going on, I had my kitchen helpers shred my cheese for me... (they got a bit carried away and we had a REALLY CHEESY dinner!) Then I cut the crab up (next time I will either cut it up much smaller or shred it). I add the shredded cheese and the crab to the spinach and stir until everything is mixed well.


Once you are all done with the chicken it is time to do some stuffing. I packeded as much as I could on the chicken (you need to be able to wrap the chicken all the way around your stuffing and close it with toothpicks or kitchen twine).







Once you get them all wrapped up, stick them in a baking dish/pan. I then added more of my seasonings to the top of the chicken. Then I stuck it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 40 - 45 minutes.


I had some filling left over so I put it in it's own baking dish and stuck it in the oven for the last 10 minutes. I spooned the extra on top! Roast some veggies to go with this and you have yourself an awesome dinner! It only took me about 15 minutes to put it all together. 

The next time I make it I will just put it together completely either that morning or the day before. It could be covered and stuck in the fridge until you are ready to bake it.

Oh, and make sure you take the toothpicks out before you eat it!

Cassie's Cajun Crab & Spinach Stuffed Chicken


No comments: