Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chipotle Chicken Stew

Today I am making a Chipotle Chicken Stew in the crock pot. I have had it once and it is soooo good. The ingredients are simple and flavors are rich.




Chipotle Chicken Stew


1-2 lbs. skinless chicken thighs
15 oz navy beans (or 1 can)
15 oz black beans (or 1 can)
1 can crushed or diced tomatoes, un-drained
1 ½  cups chicken broth/stock
½ cup orange juice
1 medium onion, diced
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
1 t. salt
1 t. ground cumin
1 bay leaf
Cilantro sprigs (optional)

Combine chicken, beans, tomatoes with juice, broth, OJ, onion, chipotle pepper, salt, cumin, and bay leaf in crock pot.

Cover; cook on low 7 -8 hours or on high 3.5 – 4 hours. Remove bay leaf and chicken bones. Gently shred the chicken meat with 2 forks. Garnish with cilantro sprigs if desired.

Makes about 6 servings

We really like spicy here so I added 2 chipotle peppers instead of one but the rest I did exactly as the recipe called for. My house smells amazing! We can't wait for dinner.
I wish there was a way to give credit for this recipe but I got it from someone, who got it from someone, etc... So make it and enjoy! 

Here is a quick picture of it in the crock pot....I will take another one when we sit down to eat tonight.



Oh, and I think I might put a wedge of lime in it when I serve it. I think the lime juice will just bring out all the flavors.

Okay, here is the crock pot after I have shredded the chicken. Next up picture ready to eat!

No comments: