Saturday, January 7, 2012

Running Challenge...week 1

I have challenged myself to run at least 1 mile every day for a year. It is going well so far but it is hard. I pretty much had a year off of running. I did have a few spurts here and there where I would go out but overall it has been a year (I had my calf injury last Jan.). I'm finding that it is like starting all over. I'm finding I have calf and achilles tightness and have to walk during my run to stretch it back out. I very much don't want to overdo it and get injured.

I'm going to stick to 1 mile per day for the first 3 weeks just to give my body time to adjust to running again. Then I will start tacking on more miles.

 All that being said....just going out this week has reminded me why I love running, and I'm sad that I have missed an entire year. It is too cold out for me to be barefoot so I'm running in my Soft Star Runamocs, which, as far as shoes go are great! I have lots of toe room and great ground feel even with with the trail soles. I would love to try the dashes but they are not in the budget right now. I really can't wait for warmer weather so I can go barefoot. Barefoot is my one true running love.

The personal interactive feedback I get from the ground; temperature, texture, hardness, it is all like a feast for my feet! It definitely makes me Run Smiley and makes my soul happy! Oh, and don't even get me started on puddles.....splashing through them and the mud makes you feel like a kid again! The squish between your toes is a feeling like none other!

2 comments:

Mrs Dee said...

Fantastic, that's a great challenge! I'm going to venture out in my Vivo Barefoot shoes. Not one mile a day, mind you.

Ewa said...

Good for you!!! I've been streaking for 135 days now and love it!
Good luck!